omney: Debates ‘diminished’ Obama
RENO, Nev.—Mitt Romney continued to claim momentum in the aftermath of his debates with President Barack Obama, insisting that the forums boosted his campaign but “diminished” his Democratic opponent’s.
“He’s now been reduced to talking about ‘Sesame Street‘ characters and word games and misplaced attacks on me,” Romney told a crowd of roughly 2,500 people here.
“You can boil down what he’s saying to four simple words: ‘more of the same,'” said Romney.
For months, Romney has mocked Obama’s campaign slogan (“Forward”), telling audiences it should have been “forewarned” instead. Today he revised that attack, telling the crowd Obama’s plan “doesn’t feel like forward. It feels like backwards.”
As he has in recent weeks, Romney expressed confidence he’ll win the election, telling the crowd here he understands how to jump-start the struggling economy and “that’s why I’m going to win.”
Yet in a sign of how close the election is, Romney shook up his usual stump speech. He peppered his remarks with examples of voters in their “40s or 50s,” women and younger people who he said would benefit under his presidency.
Speaking in a swing district in a swing state, Romney called the upcoming election a “defining” moment for the country.
“I think the choice you make here in Nevada—and perhaps right here in Reno—will make a difference for the nation, will make a difference for the families of the nation and will make a difference for your family,” Romney said.
It was a theme he hit repeatedly while urging his audience to consider the impact of their vote.
“This election is about your family and families across this country, and the choice we make will have an enormous impact on your family,” Romney said. “I understand what it’s going to take to get this country strong again and to provide the answers that your families need. This is an election about two very different pathways for America.”
- RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL ENDORSES ROMNEY: Another large paper abandons Obama in favor of Romney. The… (pjmedia.com)
- Romney pushes momentum, housing recovery at Nevada rally (thehill.com)
- Obama and Romney barnstorm the country (modbee.com)
- Obama and Romney barnstorm the country (mcclatchydc.com)
- ‘Super charged’ Romney says Obama camp is ‘slipping’ (news.yahoo.com)
- Obama and Romney begin campaign blitz (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- Scarborough’s election prediction (politico.com)
- Obama asks for another chance to meet his goals (kansascity.com)
- What the Last-Minute Swing-State Voters Really Want: At Romney’s Trip to the Great Colorado Amphitheatre (esquire.com)